Nephrology is a specialized field within internal medicine dedicated to the diagnosis and treatment of kidney-related conditions. A nephrologist is a medical doctor who has undergone further training to identify and manage various kidney disorders, including those that affect kidney function, filtration, and overall health.
To learn more about kidney health, you can visit reputable sources such as the American Society of Nephrology (ASN) website: www. Asn.org or the Centers for Disease Control: www.cdc.gov/kidneydisease/
Nephrology Services at the Richmond Health Network, led by Dr. Ayat, offers comprehensive care for patients with kidney-related conditions. Our team coordinates with various specialists to provide personalized treatment plans, aiming to improve your quality of life. Services include medical history review, testing, and treatment guided by the latest research. If you experience kidney issues or need specialized care, contact us to schedule an appointment.
Here are some reasons to see a nephrologist:
- You are experiencing unexplained changes in urination patterns, such as increased frequency, blood in urine, or difficulty urinating.
- You have a history of kidney stones and want to prevent future occurrences.
- You have been diagnosed with conditions like high blood pressure or diabetes, which can impact kidney health.
- Your kidney function tests, such as creatinine and glomerular filtration rate (GFR), indicate potential kidney problems.
- You are dealing with persistent swelling, especially in the legs and ankles, which could be a sign of kidney-related fluid retention.
- You have a family history of kidney disease and want to proactively monitor your kidney health.
- You are seeking specialized care for chronic kidney diseases, electrolyte imbalances, or other kidney-related disorders.
If you’re facing any of these situations, contact us to arrange a consultation with Dr. Ayat and our experienced nephrology team.
Conditions We Address:
Richmond University Medical Center’s Nephrology Services, is committed to delivering expert care for patients facing a range of kidney-related challenges. Our team specializes in managing conditions and procedures including, but not limited to:
- Chronic Kidney Disease
- Acute Kidney Injury
- Kidney Stones
- Polycystic Kidney Disease
- Hypertension (High Blood Pressure)
- Diabetic Nephropathy
- Nephrotic Syndrome
- Nephritic Syndrome
- Electrolyte and Acid-Base Imbalances
- Hematuria (Blood in Urine)
- Home dialysis
- Peritoneal dialysis
- Screen for kidney transplant
With a focus on advanced diagnostics and evidence-based treatments, our Nephrology team collaborates to provide tailored care plans that prioritize your kidney health and overall well-being. If you’re experiencing kidney-related symptoms or need specialized care, don’t hesitate to schedule an appointment with Dr. Ayat and our dedicated nephrology professionals.
In the field of nephrology, our comprehensive services aim to address a range of renal concerns. During your initial appointment, our nephrologists will carefully review your medical history, previous test results, current symptoms, and conduct a thorough physical examination. Subsequent diagnostic tests will help guide our treatment recommendations, which are tailored to the latest advancements in nephrology research.
Given the intricate relationship between the kidneys and other systems, our team frequently collaborates with subspecialists to ensure comprehensive care. This may involve coordination with experts such as rheumatologists, endocrinologists, cardiologists, urologists, and gastroenterologists. This collaborative approach enhances our ability to enhance your overall quality of life and well-being.
Our specialized services include:
- Renal Ultrasound: Renal Ultrasound, utilizing advanced imaging technology to assess kidney structure and function.
- Biopsy Procedures: Our experienced specialists perform Ultrasound or CT-guided kidney biopsies, ensuring precise and safe extraction of tissue samples for diagnostic purposes.
- Interventional Procedures: We provide ultrasound-guided interventions, including drainage of renal cysts and abscesses, as well as the placement of nephrostomy tubes.
- Hemodialysis: we provide hemodialysis that is a medical procedure that involves using a machine to filter waste, excess fluids, and toxins from the blood when the kidneys are not functioning properly. Blood is drawn from the patient’s body, passed through the dialysis machine, cleaned, and then returned to the body. This is usually done at a dialysis center under the supervision of medical professionals.
- Peritoneal Dialysis: in some patients peritoneal dialysis is preferred method to filter blood when kidneys are not functioning as they should. In this approach, a special fluid is introduced into the patient’s abdomen through a catheter. This fluid absorbs waste and excess fluids from the bloodstream, and after a certain time, the fluid is drained out, taking the waste with it. This can often be done at home and provides more flexibility compared to hemodialysis.
- Home Hemodialysis: we also provide Home hemodialysis that is a variant of traditional hemodialysis that allows patients to perform the dialysis procedure at home. Patients are trained to use a dialysis machine on their own or with the help of a caregiver. This method offers greater flexibility in scheduling and can improve the patient’s quality of life by reducing the need to travel to a dialysis center multiple times a week.
Rest assured that our dedicated team is committed to delivering the highest standard of care and leveraging the latest advancements in nephrology to improve your renal health.
Meet our team:
Mahdi Ayat, MD, FACP, FASN is a board certified internal medicine and Nephrologist doctor with a distinguished background in medical education and research. He obtained his MD degree in Iran. Dr. Ayat’s academic records include multiple awards and recognitions for his contributions to patient care and medical education, he was recognized as a medical student if the year and distinguished researcher in 2003. Dr. Ayat was intern representative, and chief of interns in 2006-2008. After graduation Dr. Ayat started to work as an emergency physician in Isfahan, Iran. After immigrating to the United States, Dr. Ayat completed Internal Medicine residency at JFK University, Perth Amboy, NJ. As a board-certified Internist, he further pursued his passion for nephrology and completed Nephrology fellowship at Maimonides Medical Center, NY where he also served as the chief fellow. Dr. Ayat joined Richmond University Medical Center in 2023 as a full-time nephrology faculty which he teaching medical students, internal medicine residents and nephrology fellows.
Our office is located at 1800 Clove Road, Staten Island, NY 10304 718-720-1675